Friday, June 09, 2006

Are you a wordsmith?

Me, I am not a wordsmith, yet. I would however like to think of myself as an aspiring wordsmith, if you will. I enjoy increasing my vocabulary when possible. I recently came across a couple of sites recently that I wanted to share with you. The first one is Wordsmith.org. There are several useful things that this website provides. They have services that are available for free via e-mail. This page has a list of all of the commands that are accepted by the wordsmith server.


So if you need to know the definition of a word simply send an e-mail to the address
wsmith@wordsmith.org with a subject line of "define XXXX" where XXXX is your word and make sure to remove the quotess. Also you can find an anagram in a similar way.


I decided to try out the anagram service and found that an anagram for the word "insolence" is "no silence". Who knows what else you will find by using this service. I have also subscribed to the word-a-day list that is offered. Hopefully this will help you, as it has me, on the never ending quest to be educated.


There is also a book put out by the author of wordsmith which can be purchased
here.

Does anyone know what sextumvirate means? Well I had to look it up. Except that turned out to be more of a problem than I would have imagined. I tried my normal online dictionary.com which could not find a link for it. I then searched the Noah Webster's 1828 online dictionary to no avail. I then searched for the word in Google and was able to find a dictionary with my word.
I found a difficult word dictionary that was able to inform me of what my word meant.


sextumvirate

n. government by six men.


© From the Hutchinsonencyclopediaa.
Helicon Publishing LTD 2006.
All rights reserved.



Online Dictionaries
My Normal Dictionary
1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary
Difficult Word Dictionary

This page has quite a few links with refference resources on it

  • Electronic Resources Index
    There is one more site that I wanted to share with you Today. Or more correctly one more book.
    The Wrong Word Dictionary is a book that can help you if you mix words up sometimes. This would have been useful when I tried using the word 'defecate' when I meant to use 'defenestrate'. Wow was that a fun conversation!

No comments:

 

"Perhaps your grip on reality is not quite as firm as you might have hoped" - Todd Connelly


"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Words are chameleons, which reflect the color of their environment. -Learned Hand, jurist (1872-1961)

What does all of this do to the best minds among the students? Most of them endure their college years with the teeth-clenched determination of serving out a jail sentence. The psychological scars they acquire in the process are incalculable. But they struggle as best they can to preserve their capacity to think, sensing dimly that the essence of the torture is an assault on their mind. And what they feel toward their school ranges from mistrust to resentment to contempt to hatred – intertwined with a sense of exhaustion and excruciating boredom.

--Ayn Rand Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal