Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Public School Lunacy

A High School in New Jersey wants to start randomly testing their students for alcohol use. Why anyone still sends their children to public schools is beyond my comprehension. I know people are going to use the excuse of finances, which in many cases is just that, an excuse. Does it really matter to you as a parent if your children receive adequate schooling? Perhaps you should look into teaching your children. They are your responsibility! Anyways I think if I had a high schooler that was attending this school(which I wouldn't), I would allow them to have one beer with dinner on Saturday night. That way when my child tests positive on Monday morning at school, I'll receive a fun phone call. It is my understanding that your child is allowed to have a reasonable amount of alcohol as long as it is consumed in the home under the supervision of the parents. My child would not have broke the law and I wouldn't have either. What a waste a time. What about someone taking communion on a Sunday? I am not sure how sensitive the test is, but that would be funny. I think that is what I would claim if I tested positive for this. Then I would call the ACLU and complain about religious persecution.
Just my thoughts. Feel free to post comments to this posting.
Thanks

No comments:

 

"Perhaps your grip on reality is not quite as firm as you might have hoped" - Todd Connelly


"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Words are chameleons, which reflect the color of their environment. -Learned Hand, jurist (1872-1961)

What does all of this do to the best minds among the students? Most of them endure their college years with the teeth-clenched determination of serving out a jail sentence. The psychological scars they acquire in the process are incalculable. But they struggle as best they can to preserve their capacity to think, sensing dimly that the essence of the torture is an assault on their mind. And what they feel toward their school ranges from mistrust to resentment to contempt to hatred – intertwined with a sense of exhaustion and excruciating boredom.

--Ayn Rand Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal